The Open University (“OU”, “we” or “us”) is a company incorporated by Royal Charter in England and Wales. Our main office is at Walton Hall, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA.
LORO is a repository which is maintained by the Department of Languages at The Open University and hosted by The Open University. It was created initially with funding from the Joint Information Systems Committee (JISC). The aims of LORO are, amongst other things:
Please read these Terms and Conditions carefully. They apply to all LORO Repository website users (hereinafter called users or site users or users of the site)and they govern your use of this LORO Repository website (hereinafter called site). Users with an account are also bound by the Terms and Conditions agreed to during account creation.
We may change these Terms and Conditions from time to time by updating this page. You should review this page regularly. Your continued use of this site after changes have been made will be taken to indicate that you have read and accepted those changes. You should not use this site if you do not agree with any changes to these Terms and Conditions .
Access to and use of this site is provided by The Open University on the following terms. By using this site you are acknowledging that you have read and accepted these Terms and Conditions which govern use of the site and (if you have an account) agreed during account creation.
Conditions of Use
1. You agree to use this site only in accordance with these Terms and Conditions, for lawful purposes and in a way that does not infringe the rights of, restrict or inhibit anyone else’s use and enjoyment of this site. Prohibited behaviour includes (but not limited to) harassing or causing distress or inconvenience to any person, transmitting obscene or offensive content or disrupting the normal flow of dialogue within this site and impersonating another person by for example by using their login to access content which has been made available for OU staff and students only).
2. All copyright, trade marks, design rights, patents and other intellectual property rights (registered and unregistered) and all content located on this site shall remain vested in The Open University or its licensors (which includes other users). Unless otherwise stated the content on this site is made available under a Creative Commons non-commercial share-alike licence (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0uk (“Creative Commons Licence”) or a Creative Commons non-derivatives licence http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ . Please read the appropriate Creative Commons licence in full before downloading or otherwise making use of Open University content.
3. All content providers have rights in their respective content under copyright and other applicable laws, and except as provided for in these Terms and Conditions such rights are not transferred by mere use any of the services on or use of the site. You accept full responsibility and liability for your use of any content in violation of any such rights.
4. You must however read these intellectual property rights as being subject to any restrictions on use applying to any materials or content on the site including (but not limited to) photographic images, videos and text whether directly on a page of this site or contained in a document (e.g. a pdf) accessible from a page on this site. If you do not agree to be bound by the Creative Commons Licence or any special restrictions or use arrangements which may be in place regarding use of the content or services then you must not use this site or any of the content made available on this site.
5. When using content you must attribute any identified author in accordance with the terms of the Creative Commons Licence. Every resource has an “attribution” section which will identify the author/owner(s) and any special restriction(s) applying. You must take account of and abide by any restrictions set out in this section in using any of the content.
Content and Information posted sent or uploaded by you onto the site
6. Certain pages of this site permit you to post, send or upload content and information. If you do this we will take this to mean that you have read and accepted these Terms and Conditions.
7. In posting, sending or uploading content or information to the site you are confirming that:
(a) you own or have appropriate rights to use the intellectual property rights subsisting in or relating to that content and information and are sure that posting, sending or uploading the same does not infringe the rights (including but not limited to the intellectual property rights) of any other person or organisation;
(b) the content is not considered defamatory, derogatory or inappropriate with regard to the OU, its customers or clients or any other person or organisation;
(c) does not contain any confidential information about any person or organisation (unless you have our permission or that of the other person or organisation)
(d) does not contain any offensive, obscene or criminal content or any other content which may cause embarrassment to any individual or institution; and
(e) does not contain any personal data about another person including (but not limited to) names, contact details and sensitive personal data (for example, information about an identified or identifiable individual’s mental or physical health, racial or ethnic origin, religious or other beliefs). The Information Commissioner’s website provides more guidance on what is personal data and sensitive personal data (add link to www.ico.gov.uk)
8. We are not responsible for any content and/or information which you deposit or add onto this site. We reserve the right to withdraw any such content and/or information without notice and at our sole discretion and to pursue any course of action against you available to us under applicable laws.
Accuracy of Content and Information on the site
9. The OU does not represent that information contained on or available via this site is accurate or complete and accordingly it should not be relied on as such. You should not rely on any such information. Any arrangements made between you and any other person, using or named on this site are entirely at your sole risk and responsibility.
10. Information contained in or accessible via this site changes on a regular basis. We may make improvements or alterations to this site at any time and without notice.
11. Addresses of or links to other websites may appear on this site for your convenience. The OU does not operate or monitor other websites and we accept no responsibility or liability for the content of other websites. Any link is not intended to be, nor should be construed as, an endorsement of any kind by us of another website.
13. We do not guarantee that:
(a) use of this site will be compatible with all hardware and software,
(b) use of this site will be uninterrupted or error or virus free,
(c) use of this site will deliver any specific outcome for its users, or
(d) defects on this site will be corrected (save for those defects which The OU is obliged to correct by law).
You must take appropriate steps to ensure that you regularly check for and protect against viruses when using this site on any device.
14. We make no statement about the suitability of the content, information and services contained on, or accessed via, this site. All warranties, terms and conditions in this regard, including all warranties, terms and conditions implied by statute or otherwise, of satisfactory quality and fitness for purpose are excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. For the avoidance of doubt this includes content accessed via links to websites (including home pages, web pages or documents they contain) operated by any other person or organisation.
15. We further exclude to the fullest extent permissible by law all liability for damages and direct, indirect or consequential loss (all three of which terms include pure economic loss, loss of profits, loss of business, business interruption, depletion of goodwill and like loss) or otherwise incurred by you or any other person or organisation and rising out of or in any way connected with the use of this site or its content, whether based on contract, tort, strict liability or otherwise.
We do not exclude or limit our liability (if any) to you for any matter for which it would be illegal for us to exclude or to attempt to exclude liability;
16. You will defend, indemnify ad hold harmless us, our affiliates and our officers, directors, employees and agents from and against any and all claims, liabilities, damages, losses or expenses, including reasonable legal costs, arising out of or in any way connected with any breach by you of these Terms and Conditions.
17. The internet is not a secure means of communication. Emails may be intercepted by other people or organisations. You should not send any communication to us through this site or by email, in particular which contains personal data (including sensitive personal data) and/or confidential information about you or any other person, and in doing so accept that any such communication is sent at your own risk and on the understanding that we would not be liable for any loss that you might suffer as a result (except for losses which cannot be excluded or limited by law).
18. You acknowledge and agree that the OU, in its sole discretion, may track, record, observe or follow all of your interactions within the Service. The OU may share general, demographic or aggregated information with third parties about the OU’s user base and service usage, but that information will not include or be linked to any personal information without consent.
Governing Law and Dispute Resolution
19. These Terms and Conditions and the relationship between you and the OU shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. You agree that any dispute arising out of or in connection with these Terms and Conditions will be subject to and within the jurisdiction of the English courts.